Monday, July 26, 2010

A Weekend of Culture

Although I am sad to say that we officially experienced our last weekend in Dublin, we definitely went out in style...

We started Thursday night off with a trip to Bray, for some drinks and dancing. I must say, I definitely got into the groove. You would have all been proud.

Friday mostly consisted of last-minute shopping, making sure I got all my gifts for loved ones back home. We started our shopping marathon off right though, with a fabulous lunch at Cafe En Seine. Think Moulin Rouge meets Sherlock Holmes and you have the inside of this bar. I now know how I want to decorate my future apartment. 

After dinner, the group headed down to Dun Laoghaire to check out the famous Festival of World Cultures (I have never seen so many intoxicated people in my entire life... it put New Years in America to shame). We began at a club featuring latin music, and then concluded at a venue where I was able to purchase something called "Scott's Surprise." As you can imagine, Burger King immediately followed and so did coming home at 2 AM with a kid's crown.

(Smoked Salmon and Prawn Sandwich)

(My favorite restaurant in Dublin: Cafe En Seine)

Saturday was a slow start, considering how exhausting the night before was. I woke up a bit late, and then headed down to Dun Laoghaire to experience a more family-orientated festival (totally different than the night before). It was a lovely festival, very crowded, and it reminded me of all my favorite Summer Festivals back in Michigan. 

(10th Annual Dun Laoghaire Festival of World Cultures)

(10th Annual Dun Laoghaire Festival of World Cultures)

Saturday night was a bit of a hiccup. Since this was my first Saturday night in Dublin, my plan was to check out The George (the city's most famous gay dance club). However, for the first time in my life, we were turned away. Apparently, I was allowed in, but my heterosexual friends weren't... eff that. No bar is "too good" for my friends. We took our party elsewhere, and ended up dancing at The Dragon. It was the best bar in the world, not because of the venue, but because everyone I cared about was allowed in.

Elyse summed it up best in her blog: Somewhere in Between. We both agree that we have met some of the best people on this trip. I am going to miss them all very much. 

Sunday was a simple day. I spent the day sleeping, writing a paper for my Irish Cinema course, and went to our planned social event... IRISH STEP DANCING! I was a natural. 

(We're a hot mess after learning some Irish Step Dancing)

I can't believe that I am already in my last week here. This has been one of the most amazing experiences in my life, and I cannot even begin how grateful I am to be in Ireland. This trip has opened my eyes to so many things, and has created everlasting friendships. I am sad to see this end.

That's all for now. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment