Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The French...

Last weekend consisted of a 3 day trip to Galway, Conomara, and Cong. Although this was similar to the trip I went on the weekend before, I had a completely different experience...


Day 1, Friday
We take all morning driving to the hostel, which was literally located in the middle of no where. As you can imagine, my classmates and I were beginning to worry about keeping our sanity for the rest of the afternoon, due to the fact this looked like the location for any typical horror movie.


Rules of the hostel: "Blah, blah blah... no drinking or smoking in the front of the building...
no drinking in the bar... this is a family establishment... 
blah, blah, blah... no noise. Ever.


Lisa's response: "WHERE ARE WE!?"


The icing on the cake? The hostel was run by the French... awesome. Needless to say the staff was rude.


We concluded the ridiculous evening with an adventurous hike around the countryside, where we all decided to have a drink for the sheep.


Day 2, Saturday
This was the actual day of our activities. We visited Kylemore Abbey, which I saw but didn't tour last weekend. It was beautiful. There was the actual Abbey (Nun School), the magnificent garden, and then the church. The entire establishment had this captivating magic to it, and all of us felt a rather emotional experience.


The next stop was a National Park, where I decided to go hiking up the mountain trail with a small group. Once again, I felt an overwhelming connection to the environment, and I was taken back by how beautiful Ireland is. I'm so glad I'm here.


The day concluded with a quick stop in Cong to see the filming locations for The Quiet Man.  Then we all headed back to the hostel to watch movies and relax. I finally saw both Jaws and Batman Begins! We also watched Clueless (classic).


To see all the pictures from the trip, visit my Facebook.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment